Dogs need regular checkup just like human beings. Your dog relies on you for care, love and companionate. Taking your dog to a veterinary is a way of expressing your love and care for the pet.
- Make it a routine like dental cleaning to take your dog for vaccination. Some dog disease might even affect you.
- If you note some weird changes in your dog, you should go and see dog’s vet as soon as possible.
- If you take your dog to the vet and the disease is in its earlier stages, treating it immediately might save your dog’s life.
Ensure that your dog’s health matters to you very much.
This article will enlighten you on some of the diseases you never thought might infect your dog. You will also know some of the symptoms to watch out for.
Ear infections in dogs
These infections are caused by bacteria, yeast, allergies, and hair growing in the ear canal.
- If you see your dog with symptoms like ear odor, lack of balance, head shaking, scratching, ear discharge, redness and swelling on the ear, then your dog might be sick.
- Sometimes this ear infection can be treated by cleaning and medicating the ear canal. However, it is advisable you take your dog to the veterinary for examination.
Worms in dogs
The most common parasites in dog system are tapeworms, roundworms, whipworms, and hookworm. These worms can make your dog very uncomfortable.
Hookworms can be painful and cause irritation.
- These worms can be easily dealt with but hookworm tends to be fatal in puppies.
- These are the signs to watch out for when it comes to worms, a dry coat, diarrhoea, weight loss, change in appetite and vomit.
- Different worms have a different mood of treatment and prevention.
- These worms can cause dry and itchy coats in your dog.
This disease is not just a dog disease but it can also affect human beings. It can’t be cured and it’s very deadly.
- When a saliva infected with rabies enters your dog’s mouth, then your dog can contact the disease. Rabies can also be contacted through a bite from an infected animal.
- Rabies makes the dogs aggressive thus it spreads faster.
- You should take your dog for rabies vaccination after every year to avoid this fatal disease.
- Rabies is mostly found in wild dogs. Ensure to keep your dog away from strange dogs.
Dogs suffer from obesity
Do not overfeed your dog. Obesity can be a serious health problem for your dog. Sometimes if a dog owner is obese you will find he/she owns an obese dog. At times dogs can be greedy, don’t starve your dog but also don’t give it too much food.
- Obesity can lead to a variety of diseases and disorders like heart problem and the overall health problem.
- You should go and seek advice from your vet. If possible your vet should examine your dog and give guidelines to avoid obesity.
- You can do some exercises with your dog. Take a twenty minutes’ walk.
It’s an airborne respiratory disease which is caused by viruses and bacteria like Bordetella bronchiseptica, canine distemper, and canine adenovirus.
- It is highly contagious and can be prevented by keeping your dog away from other stray dogs.
- Kennel cough symptoms include dry hacking cough, bronchial tubes, and high pitched cough.
- You should take your dog for vaccination every 6 months.
This disease is very contagious especially in puppies, it can cause deaths very easily. Parvo affects the intestines which lead to infections.
- Symptoms may include diarrhea, and vomiting which could contain a blood stain.
- These diseases may affect cardiac system which causes difficulties in breathing.
- The symptoms may appear very fast after exposure.
Knowing that your dog is healthy gives you a piece of mind. You should ensure you get a certificate showing which diseases your dog is immunized against. Remember most of these diseases can be prevented by a vaccine.
- Let it be a routine to visit your vet for a consultation.
- We all love our dogs hence we ought to ensure they are as healthy as we are.
- Good health begins with proper health checkup.